John C. Wood Homeplace Southeast photo, Banks County, Georgia.

John C. Wood Homeplace Southwest photo, Banks Co. GA

Wood Store Southside

Wood Store Westside


Historic American Building Survey, Exerpts.

Source: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographic Division, Historic American Buildings Survey, Reproduction Number HABS. No. GA-2246


Location: East and West side of U. S. Route 441/Georgia State Route 15, approximately 0.1 mile South of County Road 176. Northwest of Homer, Homer Vicinity, Banks County, Georgia.

USGS Homer Quadrangle (7.5’), Universal Transverse Mercator Coordinates: Zone 14, Northing 3,805,500, Easting 272,220


Significance: The John C. Wood Homeplace is historically significant in the areas of architecture and commerce. Architecturally, it represents a late nineteenth century Georgian house type. Together with the store, it represents a house/store complex, a typical commercial endeavor of the time.


Physical History:

1.      Date of erection: Georgian cottage constructed c. 1875; Store Building constructed c. 1900; dates based upon interviews with John C. Wood descendants.

2.      Architect/Builder: Unknown

3.      Original and subsequent owners: The original owner is not known. It has been owned by the Wood family and descendants since 1911. Deed research did not reveal who owned the property prior to 1911. On Dec. 2, 1911, T. H. Shore sold John C. Wood 204 2/3 acres for $3,051.00. (Deed Book M, pp. 550-51). On May 11, 1948, the Mrs. J. C. Wood estate sold Coy Short parcels 4, 7, and 8 of the subdivided estate for $5, 075.00. (Deed Book CC, p. 521). Plat Book 1, page 21 notes that these three parcels totaled 56.78 acres and that the house was located on parcel 4 and that the store was located on parcel 8. On Jan. 16, 1969, Coy Short sold Mrs. Ladie Wood Short (John C. Wood’s daughter) 56.65 acres in parcels 4, 7 and 8 for $5.00 and other considerations. On August 29, 1988, Mrs. Ladie Wood Short sold Marlin Griffin, Irma Payne and LaJane S. Ervin 56.78 acres for $10.00 and other considerations.

4.      Original Plans and Construction: The house has a main square mass with four rooms, two on either side of a central hall. The store has a main square mass with one room. The well house in front of the residence is a shed consisting of four vertical logs with a wood frame gable roof. Pressed tin covers this roof.

5.      Alterations and additions: Alterations to the house include stairs in the central hall and windows in the gable. As addition to the rear was constructed to serve as a kitchen. The dates of the addition and alterations are not known. However, a visual inspection suggest that they date from the early twentieth century. The rear porch on the north side of the kitchen is gone. The store originally had a full facade front porch.


Historical Context:

The house located on the property was not built by John Wood, but may have been known locally as the Old Knotts Place. Deed research verified that by 1911 John C. Wood resided on the property and operated a general store and gin on the property. The property currently includes the residence, the store and a well house. Outbuildings which are no longer extant include two barns, a smoke house, the gin and a second well. According to Wood’s granddaughter, the store ceased operation in the 1920’s. The estate of John C. Wood, which totaled 204 2/3 acres of land, was subdivided after his widow’s death in 1948.


Architectural Information General Statements:

Section A.1: The John Wood house is a representative example of a Georgian cottage with a real ell house type. The store is representative of early twentieth century rural general stores

2. Condition of fabric: The house is in a state of deterioration, though the floor plan remains intact. The store is also deteriorating.


General Setting and Orientation: The house and store currently are vacant and are located opposite one another on a U. S. Route. The house is surrounded by a grass clearing, pecan trees and a well shed. The house is sited on a slight rise and faces the store and U. S. 441. The store is located opposite the house, on the edge of the highway and faces the house. The topography behind the store drops approximately four to five feet and rises again to a wooded ridge. The surrounding area is largely rural residential.


Source: Historic American Building Surveys documentation completed as a mitigation stipulation in the Memorandum of Agreement for Georgia Department of Transportation’s Project NY-055-1(38), Banks County (the proposed Homer ByPass).



Transcribed 2005 by Jacqueline King

copyright 2005 Jacqueline King & Vicky Chambers